Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Lesson For Small Town Music Festivals

Who knew Midland had their own music festival? I stumbled onto the Tall City Blues Fest website quite by accident and was immediately intrigued.

Unfortunately, the website is woefully lacking in information. Lots of info about their sponsors, almost no info about the music. While I wish them great success - I love seeing smaller towns develop a successful music festival - I don't see it unless they change their ways.

Let their website be a lesson to other towns wanting to develop a successful music festival. Yeah, sponsors are important, but the website for a music festival should feature music. Is this really such a hard concept to grasp?

The Tall City Blues Fest website, www.tallcitybluesfest.com, starts on the home page with links to news, info, and sponsorships. I found last year's lineup from the News link (Chris Duarte headlined) and a few pathetic press releases that focused more on workshops offered at a nearby college than on the music. This was getting depressing.

Finally I found a videos link (see for yourself here www.tallcitybluesfest.com/videos/ and guess what I found? Three videos of Lisa Grissom (I guess she's the festival organizer?) either sitting on a Mazda and talking about the festival, or being interviewed by a Mazda dealership manager about the festival. (Guess who is the main sponsor of the event?) Oh, and almost as an afterthought, a single lonely video of the music from the pre-VIP party in 2012. One video of music!!

No pictures of past events, no other videos of past events, no interviews with past performers - what the heck?

Sorry Lisa Grissom, but you've only convinced me to come to this year's event if I'm interested in looking at a Mazda. Good luck with your festival, and my sympathies go out to any bands who play there. Unless you're singing songs about Mazda, don't expect any free press for your band.

No comments:

Post a Comment